RE: Botanical Illustration

With regards to the botanical illustration thingy - I am not concerned with
how they are judged, or even HAVING them "judged" at all - this is meant
more as a way to encourage people who might have an interest in this sort of
thing to SHOWCASE them - I'd probably want to give them all a ribbon for
even making the effort!

Going overboard with "rules and regulations" for such a thing right off the
bat would be a sure fire way to kill it before we could even determine the
interest level. This is one reason why more people don't enter the
Aquascaping Contest - there are far too many on the APD who gripe and snipe
because the "quality" of North American aquascapes aren't up to the level of
"Amano". This intimidates a lot of people who might otherwise enter. I took
a very close look at the entries in last year's event and I saw quite a few
I'd be proud to have in my living room.

To the nay-sayers I say "Puleeze!, get off yer duff and DO something about
it."

And I don't think "aquarists" would even be capable of judging such things
anyway - you would need botanists to judge technical merit and art critics
to judge artistic merit. I'm neither a botanist nor an art critic - I just
know what I like.

This all meant to be FUN, and as long as I'm involved with it, its going to
stay that way.

James Purchase
Toronto