[AGA Member] newbie here with some questions...

Hi folks,
I am Very new to aquariums and have a few questions.
1. Is lava rock gravel a bad substrate for plants and fish?. I have seen it round and was just curious if you could use it in planted aquariums that had fish?
2. Peat moss in planted aquariums... I was recommended by someone in one of Big retail pet stores that it is a good medium for aquatic plants after you soak it and rinse it in  nylon stocking for a bit to remove the smaller sediments and then mix it in with sand or soil for planted tanks.

I appreciate any feed back I can get from the group.
Thanks a bunch
John

---

multipart/alternative