Re: [AGA Member] Re: Aga Members List

Those poor fish... didn't lose any but they were really pale for a day or two.
I did use PMDD for a while but kept forgetting, and the algae went up, so I switched to the flourish for a while. I am getting some obvious nutrient deficiencies so added the iron product... thought I would take it easy with the DIY fertilizer for a while and see how the commercial stuff works, then if I am dissatisfied I can go back to PMDD. I bought 2 bottles of the flourish at an auction for a buck, that sort of encouraged me to try it :) It works really well. I also have an assortment of other stuff lurking around in the substrate-remnants of Job's plant spikes, a product from Germany whose name I have forgotten (another auction item) and some plattabs. So maybe saying I just use the flourish is inaccurate.
I think what really did in the whole tv thing for me was the reality shows. I just couldn't stand it any more. That and the decline of the X-Files. The fish put on a better romance than the Bachelor and the scenery is better :)
Far as 10k bulbs go I am just quoting the experts and saving the old 10K bulb for a terrarium of carnivorous plants. Gotta find a use for the 20 tall tank that bends when full. I am afraid to use it to hold water anymore! Do all tanks bend? Seems like most of mine do. It scares me.
Kate B

Dennis Sheridan wrote:

Hi, Kate, and welcome! Thanks for the wonderful message!

hardest challenge with this tank was moving it-moved it in the back seat
of my Saturn, which is not very much bigger than the whole tank. The

That's amazing! Tell me, did the fish stick their faces out the window like dogs do? <g>

filter might be a good investment one of these days. For fertilizer I am
using Seachem's Flourish and also the Iron supplement. I am wondering if

All I use is Equilibrium with water changes, but my substrate is florabase and flourite. The PMDD dosages are popular with many on the list, but right now I think they are all off admiring rocks at the convention. <g> Someone who knows more about this than I should respond soon though.

Another thing I do is wrap a sponge filter in java moss so I don't have
to look at it. A piece of driftwood strategically placed can further
hide the sponge.

You don't use the sponges inside the filters?

I learned when I called A&H supply to ask about bulbs that the 10,000K

I have 10k PCs on my 50 and they don't appear to promote any algae. At least I don't need to scrape the glass much.. maybe once every month or two do I notice any on the sides where the current runs.

on fresh live grub... I don't have tv here, broke the antenna and
decided not to replace it, so I have plenty of time and energy for
working on the tanks or just watching the fish. I think it's pretty

Yeppers. Since we added tanks to our apartment we've been wondering what sized tank we could add if we got rid of the TV.. we often turn it off just so we can stare at the tanks in peace. <g>

Regards,

Denis