[AGA Member] red plants

Well all this conversation sounds esoteric and confusing for a nubee like me. But I can tell you that I have a red Amazon Sword (Echinodorus 'rubin') growing in the same 30 gallon tank with an (Anubias barteri). The sword has propagated undergravel, so now I have two, and the Anubias is flowering, but we live in the mountains.

I don't clean my tank very often although I am religious about my filter. Last year I changed out 1/3 of the water every 2 weeks. Then I went on vacation for a month and had better plant growth than ever with a teenager overfeeding my fish. There was no amonia buildup and all the other levels of tests were Ok too. And no one was gasping for air.

I have two florescent bulbs of indeterminate age and kind, but I do know I have low light. I use Florish Excell daily, along with Jobe fern plant sticks under gravel and 1/4 tsp of potassium sulfate (for holes in the leaves) and Florish when ever I think about it, maybe once a week.

I got tired of testing my acquarium since it always tests the same: hard water, no amonia, no nitrate, no nitrite, no phosphate, pH 8.0. The temperature is set at 76 except in the summer time when it soars to 80 degrees in the late afternoon, because we have no air conditioning. The lights are on 12 hours/day in the winter and 10 in the summer to keep the algae down.

No fish have died since April and 2 platties have survived two separate birth times. Most of my fish are in the tetra family except my Pleco and Platties.

I hope this adds to the knowledge base and not the confusion.

--
Peace and Love,
Paula

paula.hofmann@gte.net