RE: [AGA Member] Aquatic plant supplyers?buying plants from Canada

Steve, dunno what segment in the chain at customs was causing the delay, but
the person I was buying the plant from said the delay would be indefinite
due
to its being declared an "Alberta native" by customs. I paid 2-day Fedex
charges
at $35 approximately, and after 10 days we agreed to give it up (it was
probably
pretty dead salad by then:-/

Bill

I am quite sure Canadian customs has nothing to do with the delays. Customs
is exclusively concerned with things coming IN, not outgoing. The US customs
has always officially required phytosanitary inspection certificates for
plants coming into the USA; they may have begun being more strict lately for
security reasons. Perhaps terrorists are smuggling in radioactive materials
inside flowers or something! ;-) Actually, I think they are more worried
about unwanted "guests" like insect eggs or other parasites. Plants without
the roots or without soil on the roots are safest.

Steve P in balmy Vancouver, BC, CANADA