Re: [AGA Member] quartz size -- or - Cables Shmables

Where is the heat going to go. It's pretty much jsut one
place, the aquarium. To obtain the purported benefits of
substrate cableson substrate longevity, you want
temperature differentials, so you want the want to be able
to pass through the substrate by convection.  While denser
packing material like finer grained sand my conduct better,
coarser grain will convect better.

Will either make a diff?  Noboody's really shown in a
decade or so that it makes a diff to use the cables at all.
For each person claiming an improvement, you can find half
a dozen that found none.

They are expensive and unnecessary for a good planted tank.
You certainly don't nedto worry about the effect of
substrte grain size onthe effect of the cables -- they
apparently haven't any significant benefit to affect.

Spend the money on plants and fish instead.

Scott H.

=====
S. Hieber