Re: [AGA Member] Aquarium Planning

Just a personal opinion but I don't buy into the Dupla heating cable
theory. It's never been demonstrated to me that cables produce any
benefit to plants above that provided by a good substrate and proper
nutrients.

CO2 diffusers are good. A lot of people like the Eheim which
includes a bubble counter. And you can hide a diffuser in the back
rather than have the CO2 fed through a powerhead. You should be able
to easily fit a 10# bottle in the stand. I like the Fabco needle
valve and don't use a solenoid. Unnecessary expense, like the
heating cables, imho.

I would have a few algae/detritus cleaners in the tank just to help
the cycling along. Don't feed them any additional food. Then when
you are ready, add just a few fish at a time to avoid spikes and
unbalances.  I know many people insist that Discus and others
require high temps, but I had Discus breeding just fine at 74
degrees. Several nannostromus sp., otos, etc. all flourished and
bred fine (except the pencil fish, they aren't breeding) without
high temps. That allows me to grow whatever plants I want as well as
even more savings on the electrical bill.  As you can tell, I'm very
big on keeping the electric bill manageable. As always, fwiw, imho,
ymmv, etc.  Good luck with your new tank!

-d