RE: [AGA Member] Planted Tank Room- Central Filtration

Good collection of info -- provides something of a
benchmark betwee pumps. Unfortunately, the GPH of a pump at
0' head is like telling you how long a motor will last if
yo never use it. It's an operating conditon that you won't
ever have when using the pump. Even a powerhead with no
tubing attached at all develops biofilm on the rotor and
stator and slows down accordingly. This site has flow
charts for many of the pumps -- those for which the
manufacturer publishes the data.

Flow charts, that plot GPH against amount of head are much
better than 0' head output ratings, keep in mind that the
flow charts still assume clean everything. So if you
measure a 3' rise from pump to return, the head is actually
greater than 3' even if yo have no turns or joints in the
path.

It would be nice also if sound/noise data was available
from pump manufacturers, but usually it is not -- except
for subjective terms like "quiet" which are sometimes
surprisingly inappropriate.

Right now I'm looking for a good external back up pump for
my sump and so far I've been disappointed with the three
pumps I've tried -- they pump but they are noisy --
clickety clickety clickety. I prefer rotors with fixed
vanes.

Scott H.
--- Nathan Freedenberg <gnatster@comcast.net> wrote:
> Pump info and a plumbing calculator to determine the
> pump(s) for the job can
> be found at this link.
> http://reefs.org/library/pumps/

=====
S. Hieber

Amano Returns
to the AGA Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14, 2004 -- Crystal City, Virginia