RE: [AGA Member] Planted Tank Room- Central Filtration

------
Flow charts, that plot GPH against amount of head are much
better than 0' head output ratings, keep in mind that the
flow charts still assume clean everything. So if you
measure a 3' rise from pump to return, the head is actually
greater than 3' even if yo have no turns or joints in the
path.
-------

On the same page is a downloadable excel spread sheet, the macros are safe,
that allows one to plug in various pumps and various fittings to find actual
head and actual flow. While it is not all inclusive it certainly is a far
sight better then any other tool I've used. P.R. Escobal's Aquatic System
Engineering has detailed charts on friction and head loss of various common
PVC parts as well as theoretical losses for various technical devices; i.e.
reactors, UV units. I believe the book is now out of print but is available
used. The info stands the test of time, be forewarned, there is quite a bit
of math with cryptic formulae that makes this tome good insomnia reading.

--------
It would be nice also if sound/noise data was available
from pump manufacturers, but usually it is not -- except
for subjective terms like "quiet" which are sometimes
surprisingly inappropriate.
-------

Yes, anecdotal info is all seem to have. That said, the Blueline series of
pumps is reported to be very quiet. I use the Japanese made Iwaki pumps,
much quieter then the US models.

------
Right now I'm looking for a good external back up pump for
my sump and so far I've been disappointed with the three
pumps I've tried -- they pump but they are noisy --
clickety clickety clickety. I prefer rotors with fixed
vanes.
-----

Mounting the pump on a hanging board cuts the resonance. I'll attempt ASCII
art to demonstrate.

O               O
|                 |

Suspending a platform with wire and attaching the pump to the platform with
bolts. Short lengths of flexible hose to the inlet an outlet will aid in
cutting down resonance. I place a layer of neoprene between the pump base
and shelf. Nylon mounting hardware also cuts down the noise floor and has
the added benefit of not rusting. The entire assembly is suspended from
screw eyes.

gnatster