RE: [AGA Member] Planted Tank Room- Central Filtration

-----
The only drawback to the central sump with standpipes format is just that:
it
mandates the introduction of standpipes in all tanks. I've never drilled
glass myself and would need to read up on this esoteric skill. Tanks could
be
purchased pre-drilled, of course, but then I'm cheap and an avid DIYer.
Besides,
in my case the multiple tanks will be 20 gals or less and I've never seen
tanks
this small offered in a pre-drilled option.
-----

Drilling glass is not that much of an esoteric skill. I've drilled hundreds
of tanks ranging from 5 to 200 gallons. My last lfs employment we drilled
them using a portable drill, clay for the lubricant well and antifreeze as
the lube. Not exactly high tech. The round and now polished glass circle
that is leftover is perfect to scribe "TUIT" on, therefore having a round
tuit. One can also specify a run of tanks from Perfecto or AGA drilled to
your specifications.

-----
Once the standpipe has been successfully installed the biggest problem is
solved. Besides, those over the side, self leveling siphon rigs do look
complicated and fraught with possible screw ups.
-----

Been there, done that, replacing fried shop vac motors is a pain.

-----
I just wonder also, if by constantly exchanging a small amount of water in
the system, perhaps exiting via the sump through an overflow, and entering
into
the overhead reservoir --a lot of the water quality issues normally
corrected
by periodic water changes could be addressed in a more frequent, automated
and
less strenuous manner.

Obviously, if one could tap into the house's sewer and water system --
things
could get even easier provided any chloramine or chlorine in the water
supply
is somehow dealt with.
------

Assuming one has decent source water that requires no modification to reach
desired parameters. I'm lucky to have a my source a deep well that spews out
water with a  pH of 6.6, DH 4 and GH 6.

On my last install, we constructed a system to store all the wastewater in a
"grey water" tank using it to water the lawn and garden.

gnatster