From: owner-aga-member@thekrib.com [mailto:owner-aga-member@thekrib.com] On Behalf Of S. Hieber
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 5:04 PM
To: aga-member@thekrib.com
Subject: Re: [AGA Member] Re: fish/plant light -- or - Have you got lots of options or what?

The Wayne stuff on APD is worth reading if you're really
interested and don't mind the brutally indiscriminate
nature of the APD search facility. Mostly stuff about
overdriving T8s -- I was mostly paying homage.

The advantage to T8s is the bulbs are usually really really
cheap, just a few bucks each. So some folks put them on a
ballast meant for biger bulbs and drive them twice as hard
as normal they're birighter but burn out sooner -- but at
those prices who cares -- anyway, that's the story with
overdrive.

The problem with small aquariums is getting enough light
over them because they are narrow front to back and can't
use very long bulbs either. That's what makes power
compacts sucvh good choices. High Output (HO) T5s are just
like PCs except they are straight and the watts are just
slightly different so it's easier for everyone to tell them
apart when ordering  -- 54 watts, that's a 4' HO T5; 55
watts, thats a 2' PC (they both work on the same electronic
ballasts); 32 watts, that's a 4' T8, 40 watts, that's a 4'
T12.

Normal Output (NO) T5s were made not because they have more
output but because they fit into thinner places, like under
cabinets and in small lamps. They're good replacments for
T12 bulbs of the same wattage but that's about all -- no
other outstanding virtues.

T5 HO outfits can be expensive because they are "new". Some
places, like IceCap, Inc. think they are fundamentally
better somehow than PCS. I haven't seen anything that shows
that the technology is any diff for T5 HO and PC -- only
diff is the bend. If you keep you T5s farther apart than
the two tubes on a PC, you'll get less of each tube's light
being blocked by the other tube.

The 2' T5s are about 22" and the 39 watters are 3' (34")1.
Can you fit 3' bulbs over your tank?  Actuall size of bulbs
is  1.5-2" less than an incremental foot so the 2' bulbs
fit 2' lamps, etc.

2 20 watt 22" T12NO = 40 w => about 1.5 wpg of
                              low lpw(lumens per watt)
2 13 watt 21" T5NO  = 26 w => about <1 wpg of lpw
2 24 watt 22" T5HO  = 48 w => about 1.5 wpg of high lpw
1 55 watt 22" PC    = 55 w => about 2 wpg of high lpw
 (This is a nice medium amount, if you ask me. for anything
more, you bet have CO2)

3 24 watt 22" T5HO  = 72 w => about 2.5 wpg of high lpw
2 39 watt 34" T5HO  = 78 w => about 2.5 wpg of high lpw
2 55 watt 22" PC    = 110 w => about 3.5 wpg of high lpw

The HO linear bulbs and PCs are generally much more
expensive bulbs.

Hang in there, there's no quiz until Friday -- however, it
will include plant species names. Have you got your copy of
Kasselman yet?   ;-).

sh

--- Paula Hofmann <paula.hofmann@gte.net> wrote:
> Thanks Scott,
>
> It's getting harder of course.  But I think I'm ready to
> hang in there and
> figure it out.  I didn't save the stuff Wayne Jones
> posted.  Probably was
> more interested in something else at the time like 'Why
> do my fish keep
> dying?".  Got that one solved.  I'll follow up on your
> leads though.

=====
S. Hieber
Takashi Amano and More at