RE: [AGA Member] Re: fish/plant light -- or - Don't feel boxed in with NO bulbs or aluminum

The longer T5 bulbs are High Output bulbs just like PCs.
Measure a 55 watt PC -- it's a T5 that took a U-turn ;-)
there are smaller T5s, such as the 6, 8, 9, & 13 watters,
that are Normal Output (NO) bulbs. T5 HOs: 24 watt, 39
watt, 54 watt for 22', 3', 4' respectively.

4' T5  HO = 54 watt rating
4' T12 NO = 40 watt ratting
4' T8  NO = 32 watt rating

2' PC  HO = 55 watt rating
4' 2xPCs   = 110 watt rating
4' 2xT5s   = 108 watt rating

You can get more light into a smaller length with PCs than
T8s. However, at 4' you can get more light with T5s if you
can space the T5s farther apart than the tubes on a PC.
Otherwise, I think it's a toss between the two.

If you want lots of light in a small space, then Just say
"No" to NO bulbs ;-)

Don't rule out making your own hood. It can't be done
relatively simply and economically and still look as nice
or nicer (if you like the beauty of wood) than an sheet
metal or extruded aluminum hood.  Rough cout the long
pieces to length, then masking-tape them together and cut
to final length. Cut end pieces. Drill pilot holes and nail
together or use woodglue and clamp for 1 hour. Sand smooth
with successively finer grits of sandpaper 80, 120-150,
180, Stain it if you want -- cover with 3 coats of Minwax
Acrylic or a water-clean-up urethane. If you wait less than
a day between coats, you don't need to sand between coats.

Look at the readymade hoods on AHSupply.com to get an idea
of a simple light box.

Good luck, good fun,
Scott H.
--- Livay Aviel-R51374 <Aviel.Livay@motorola.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> For me T5 means that for the same 4' length I get 54W
> instead of 36W - 50% more. Which means in a typical case
> the difference between 2wpg and 3wpg. Can't gain much in
> space cause I am reflector width limited and am not
> willing to pay for the special hoods - not yet.

=====
S. Hieber
Takashi Amano and More at
the AGA Annual Convention