From: owner-aga-member@thekrib.com [mailto:owner-aga-member@thekrib.com] On Behalf Of Steven Pituch
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 4:33 PM
To: aga-member@thekrib.com
Subject: Re: [AGA Member] Re: fish/plant light -- or - Have you got lots of options or what?

Hi Aviel,

You may have a better solution in Israel with the T5s.  My NO setup is low
tech.  Is your tank 8 feet long?  If I was on a budget here in the USA I
would think of making two separate 4 foot long suspended enclosures.  I
would put 8 T12 bulbs in each enclosure.  That would bring it up to 3.2 W/G.

The bulbs are actually 6500K, 84CRI, 20,000 hour, 2325 lumens each, Philips
Alto 812447.  Here in bright Corpus Christi, Texas in my sun room at high
noon the lamp color is perfectly neutral (not blue).  In the second URL
reference in my previous email the first picture shows one of the bulbs to
be an expensive ($8) 5000K Philips bulb.  In this picture the color of this
bulb is very brown compared to the 6500K bulbs.  I have 4000K bulbs that
look absolutely terrible in an aquarium (they are very yellow).  I would
hate to see what a 3000K bulb would look like.

I think the bulbs I am using are conservatively rated. After one year (4400
hours) , there is no darkening of the ends of the bulbs.  I don't think they
degrade as much as some bulbs.  There are others on the list that can
comment on light falloff with age, but I think the rated output is not at
startup, but after a few months of use, and quite stable.

Good luck with the tank.

Steve Pituch