Re: [AGA Member] Marsilea carpets

In a message dated 3/28/04 12:47:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bailin_shaw@hotmail.com writes:
My other plants are growing gangbusters and the anubias (equally as slow
growing) doesn't have the same issues.  I tend to think it has to do with
detritus collecting on the gravel bed promoting algae growth.  It gets
started on the gravel and migrates to the plants.  Any other thoughts on the
subject?
I think you're right about the debris collecting followed rapidly by algae.
The algae spores, broken off pieces, whatever, sink (it is the bottom) get
trapped there more than anywhere else and there is usually way less water movement
there also.

Notice how Amano and others have largely abandoned densely planted
foregrounds in many tanks, opting instead for clean, white sand which jumps right up to
mid sized Crypts, Anubias, etc.

Bob Olesen

multipart/alternative
  text/html