Re: [AGA Member] convention

We didn't exactly move the convention from Baltimore; more
like we weren't able to get hotel facilities in Baltimore
-- not without much higher prices and a few other
complications.

But that doesn't mean the convention won't partly be in
good ol' B'more!

The field trip, still being developed, I suspect will have
stops at the Randalstown store, Aquarium Center, and the
Baltimore Aquarium.

It's awfully hard to do a plant convention and include
sightseeing of unrelated stuff. I think there will be more
shmooze time at this convention than last year, but one
would have to build in half-days or entire days to allow
for DC sightseeing during the convention itself.

Besides, just planning and conductiong an aquatic field
trip is work enough for the industrious souls that have
volunteered their time and energy. :-)

Also, stretching out the convention itself to allow for
unrelated sightseeing would sort of force everyone to stay
longer, even those not interested in those other sights or
who can't as easily afford to stay longer.

However, folks that want to take in nonconvention sights --
and I expect that many will since there are so many things
to see -- can add days to their stay before or after the
convention. "Hey, we're here. Let's stay a couple more days
and see the National Portrait Gallery and the National
Cathedral and the Smithsonian and Natonal Geographic and .
. . uh, better make it three more days. There's the capital
dome and the White House and . . ."

Come Tuesday or Wednesday, or stay over Monday or Tuesday
and the city is yours.

sh

--- roger <roger@spinn.net> wrote:

> The past two conventions have been organized so that
> there was little extra
> time available to see the sites.  I expect this
> convention will be the same.
> The organizers may program in trips to the some sites.
> If not then probably
> your best chances to see things will be to go early and
> tour on your own
> schedule before the convention starts.  Once the
> convention starts you
> probably won't want to miss a minute -- much less an
> afternoon.
>
> On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:17:20 -0500, Mike Wickham wrote
>
> > Dang, I'm sorry to hear that the convention was moved
> from Baltimore
> > to DC, but oh well. If anyone is looking for field trip
> ideas, might
> > I suggest that Lilypons is not far away and Aquarium
> Center is a
> > must-see, but will now about an hour away (as is the
> National
> > Aquarium in Baltimore).

=====
S. Hieber
Aquascaping by Takashi Amano and more at
the AGA 2004 Annual Convention
Nov 12, 13 & 14; Marriott Crystal Gateway, Arlington, Virginia, USA
Aquatic Gardeners Association www.aquatic-gardeners.org