[AGA Member] Cyanobacteria - N&P dosage

> However, I've also had cyanobacteria outbreaks due to 0 ppm PO4 and ~20
ppm
> NO3. It occurred in my 55g when I had 4 wpg over it (and knew nothing
about
> PO4 at the time). I suspect that the plants were suffering from an extreme
> PO4 deficiency that lasted for a couple months.

This has happened to me also. Actually I had two different strands of
Cyanobacteria living together, one diatom variant (Microcystis?) and
the more common swirling (Oscillatoria?) sheet-forming slime:
http://194.236.255.117/defblog/pictureAction.do?method=view&id=1400
Closeup of the diatom colonies:
http://194.236.255.117/defblog/pictureAction.do?method=view&id=1399

When I get N-limited the sheets pops up everywhere, and when
I get P-limited the diatom-variant pops up like messy brown stuff ;)
on everything in the tank, which might answer Aviels question:

>And if so - if N=0.16 ppm and PO4 = 0.01 ppm.... - are we still OK??? :-)

No the plants are certainly not. They are very N and P limited, but
I'm certain the algae are not 8)

I dose heavliy (10 ppm NO3, 1 ppm PO4) every other day to
get rid of them both. If I only dose KNO3 the brown colonies
arrive and if I only dose KH2PO4 the sheets arrive. I always
have to dose them both at the same time at 10:1 to 20:1.

// Daniel.