Re: [AGA-Member] Potassium

Paula,

I used Morton's "No Salt" without problems.  The formulations for low sodium
salt probaby varies from brand to brand and might vary from time to time for
the same brand.  Judging from the ingredients you listed I will guess that
the product you have is probably not similar to the Morton product.

The Morton product contains potassium chloride, fumaric acid, tricalcium
phosphate and monocalcium phosphate.  According to the nutrition facts on the
package the product gives 610 mg of potassium per 1.2 g serving.  Pure
potassium chloride would contain about 628 mg in a 1.2 gram serving.  From
those values, the Morton product is 97% KCl and 3% everything else.  I
wouldn't think twice about using the Morton product as a potassium source.

Quite a few people have used salt substitutes as potassium suppliments.  The
main problem that people report is that the salt substitute may leave the
water a little cloudy for a while.  The cloudiness is caused by some of the
additives -- calcium silicate for instance -- that don't dissolve easily.

The chloride in salt substitutes is not detrimental for fish or plants.  Small
amounts of chloride are essential for plants and higher levels are useful to
plants.  Chloride is present in all water supplies and it is harmless at
higher levels than one normally finds in water supplies.  Chloride is
biologically benign up to high concentrations.

Roger Miller