[AGA-Member] Finnex T-5 light fan question

I have a Finnex 48" strip light with four T-5 lights
over my 55 gallon
tank.  Light is very nice EXCEPT for the fan.  It is
NOISY. My other
lights on other tanks are compact flourescent with no
fan.  They have
vents in the top - passive "hot air rises" I guess.

The fan seems to run at high speed.  I guess the noise
is a vibration.

1)Anyone know if I can run this without the fan?  If I
do, what is the
risk/downside?

2)I was thinking of removing the fan and drilling
small holes in the
top?  Opinions on that?

--
Bob Alston