Re: Is this a safe food?

Mark Dierker wrote:
>I raise red wigglers also, and If I had to guess, I would say what you are
>seeing are baby red wigglers

I don't think these are red wriggler babies because according to the
literature the worms mate at the bottom of the box, and when I've done
bedding changes, the tiny ones all seem to be down there.  These white ones
are new.  I've had the box going now for almost a year and this is the first
time I've seen clumps of these white worms grouped inside the lid.  I'm
wondering if they are some type of planaria or a relative of microworms.
Also, the pH of the box contents is modified by lots of crumbled eggshells,
so I don't think it's too acidic.  The worms do go through a heck of a lot
of food though.  I only relatively recently started feeding them bread
because they looked kind of skinny living on a veggie only diet.   I put in
an entire bagel and 5 large slices of bread three weeks ago and in 10 days
there was nothing left.  The adult worms are really fat and healthy that's
for sure.

I took a few clumps of these worms and put them in the guppy tank.  Not a
single worm made it to a depth of 3 inches.  It was feeding frenzy time in
guppyland.  Impressive.  At least now I'll have something to give my larger
baby apistos that I don't have to purposely culture or hatch.   (Too lazy
for baby brine shrimp hatchery maintenance - or too busy.  Take your pick.)
I've also powdered the inside lid with a bit of oatmeal pablum.  Maybe
they'll like it even better than whatever it is that they were feeding on
before.

Gabriella Kadar