mixed species tank

Hello everyone
I've got a question for anyone.   I have an empty 55 gallon tank at the
moment and wanted to set it up heavily planted with lots of natural
caves out of rocks and driftwood.   What I wanted to do was put some
small tetras or killies in there along with a few different species of
apistos.   Has anyone ever had any luck with a non breeding community
tank of apistos without having major casualties due to males fighting
over territory.    I thought maybe a nice pair of Cacatuoides, a pair or
trio of Aggies and my group of Cruzis.   Plus maybe some small corys and
of course my tetra and killies.   I don't care if the fish in there
never spawn or not.

Now would I be better off just putting males in there with no females or
is a 55 big enough to house a couple of pairs or trios without WWWlll
breaking out?   Any suggestions would be nice.  Other wise I'm going to
do something stupid like set up another Victorian Hap breeding tank,
Hiss hiss hiss, I know, africans.   Or even put some dinner plates I
mean discus in there.

John