endlers as companion fish

In a message dated 1/22/00 2:22:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kathy@thekrib.com writes:

> Hi,
>  I have tried keeping both together and lost the Endlers due to the soft
>  water.
>  Now the endlers are in an emerser tank (ie plants half in and half out of
>  water, with a nice spray bar on one corner to keep he humidity up), and
>  there are probably over a hundred in 4 incles of water in a 50 gallon
>  circular tank.  Doing great there.  We rotate anubius and other plants
>  in/out of this tank to let the algae get off of them, and keep a few other
>  species in there that like it.
>
>  Kathy

i tried to keep endlers in a 10 gallon tank with a pair of apistos and it
didn't work out.  i'm not sure why, as i can't imagine that the apistos would
prey on the fry (i assume the fry would hide in the floating riccia) but i
never had a thriving colony and ended up pulling out the adults to their own
tank.

>  PS On a side note I had heard for years endlers was extinct, now I hear
>  they may have found one more wild population.  That is heresay, don't know
>  if it was true.  I heard stories on the originals that they were in some
>  mudpuddles by a dump that was later developed.

endlers were originally found in laguna de patos, as i understand, a
landlocked lagoon or lake near the coast in venezuela.  there were concerns
about their existence due to pollution of the small laguna.  however, armando
pou in florida made a collecting trip and found thriving colonies of
different types recently.  some of the fish he brought back are even more
colorful than the original collection.  as an aside, it's not clear yet if
the endlers are a separate species or just a subspecies of the guppy.  i
suppose that depends if you are a splitter or a lumper.

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA