Re: Apisto Beginner

Walter Igharas wrote:

> Hi,
> I am thinking of currently setting up
> a 33 gallon tank heavily planted  and I would like to hear any
> comments with this type of set-up:
>
> 1 male and 2 female Cockatoo cichlids
> 7 Rummy-nose Tetra (as Dithers)
> 5 Ottocinclus sp
> 9 Cardinal Tetra or 5 Angelfish
> 7 Yamato Shrimp

I agree with Dave, the Rummies & Cardinals will pick off any fry. I doubt that
the shrimp will survive when they molt unless you have lots of hiding places
where the fish literally can't get at them. Angels are fine in a community as
long as you keep only full grown Rummies & Cardinals with them. Otherwise some
will end up angelfish food once your angels grow up. I see no reason to keep 2
female cockatoos since it is unlikely that they will succeed in raising many (if
any fry) in such a tank. If you want a community tank your design is fine, but if
you hope for more than one or two fry to pop out of the weeds every year then
this is not a good set up. Just my opinion. BTW will the shrimp handle the soft,
acid conditions needed by cardinals?

Mike Wise