Re: unscientific observation

Mike & Diane Wise wrote:

> Gary & Kathy,
>
> A. nijsseni and A. hippolytae are about as distantly related as any two apisto
> species can get.
> A. nijsseni is an advanced species with reduced cephalic pores. It appears to be
> part of the pertensis lineage (pertensis/iniridae-, gibbiceps/brevis-,
> agassizii/candidi-, trifasciata-, and cacatuoides/nijsseni-groups). A. hippolytae
> is from the most primitive lineage, the steindachneri-lineage (steindachneri/Rio
> Preto do Candeias-group). These species have more in common with the closely
> related genus Gymnogeophagus than do other apistos. They have a full set of
> cephalic pores, narrow lateral band, humeral (flank) patch, and scales with light
> central areas. We are just looking at "evolutionary convergence" like dolphins,
> sharks, and ichthyosaurs.
>
> Mike Wise
Hi Mike,
Agreed - which is why I mentioned it as trivia. It is a wonderful
convergence from two lineages like that, something I never would have
seen, even though I know both fish, had I not put them side by side.
Interesting bunch of fish we discuss here. I like the fact one can be
surprised by even familiar species.
Gary