Re: Husbandry of A. panduro

Mike,

Behavior has some bearing on apisto ID. Most of it has to do with methods of
threat display and breeding behavior. Advanced species for the most part use a
wide gaping mouth during frontal display, while the more primitive species flair
their gills & close their mouths during front displays. Most regani-group species
are non-polygamous in the aquarium, something I call "casually monogamous".
Casual monogamy is where a male seems satisfied to breed with only 1 female and
doesn't actively go out to establish a large territory with more than one female.
If there are other females, he will of course breed with them, too. Nearly all
nijsseni- & pertensis/iniridae-group species seem monogamous. They seem to be
"choosey" about who they breed with and will not breed with anyone but their
chosen mate. The question I guess, is this the same behavior they exhibit in the
wild? I'd bet many of the polygamous species are more "casually monogamous" in
the wild.

Mike Wise