Re: Husbandry of A. panduro

Bill,

Koslowski wrote in his book that the male challenges any fish entering its territory. If it is a female he starts to court her. If she is not receptive she leaves. If she is receptive then a short courtship dance ensues where the male tries to make himself less aggressive looking. The female usually decides where to lay the eggs. So, although the male starts out as an aggressive defender of his territory, it is the female who decides with whom, when, & where to spawn. We rarely see this courtship behavior in our tanks because it last for only a short period of time - 5-15 minutes.

Mike Wise