Re: Ph which chems??

John W writes:

>  how about using a handful of dolomite?
> This will raise your pH without adding chemicals to your tank.   I do
> this for my livebearer tanks, seeing as how I have such soft slightly
> acidic water.

This isnt entirely accurate.  Actually, it's not even close to right.  It
adds calcium, magnesium, and carbonate.  It doesn't so much increase pH as to
increase alkalinity, in the form of CO3{-2}.  This in turn causes a reaction
between the H+ ions and the CO3 ions, converting it to water and CO2.  But
the calcium and magnesium will remain as salts of whatever the H+ was
associated with.  The coral that he tried gives exactly the same results as
dolomite would.

Bob Dixon
Cichlid Trader List Administrator
http://cichlidtrader.listbot.com