Re: checking water parameters

John,

Hi, we noticed this with Seattle water as well.  Soft water, tap pH close
to 7 (high 6's)but drops rapidly depending on what is in the
tank (ie Bogwood, oak
leaves etc.).  ppm is about 10-20.
In the summer the water parameters change....the water is harder, and a
little more alkaline.  Discovered this doing some routine checking oh two
or so years ago.  We figured it was because the water sat around in the
resevoir in the summer, but was more likely direct rain runoff in the
winter.   Someone else had it much rougher, moved 25 minutes across
town...they don't keep discuss anymore.

But back to the point, yes we notice a seasonal variation. I haven't run
into problems with the apisto's.  Now in Erik's high light grow out
tank....the plants turned white when the calcium dropped too low.  So he
adds Calcium Carbonate and Magnesium carbonate....makes me shudder every
time....but he spawned the wild caught tetra's we brought back from the
Rio Negro.....so it still works.  There must be something else in that
clean water that triggers the spawning.  Oh yeah...in my tanks....the
snails loose their shells...especially noticeable right now.  I have had
one big snail I was saving for a friends puffer for over a year, he is an
inch in size, but I have stepped up water changes now, and he just lost
his shell and became apisto food.

Enough rambling...

Kathy