Re: checking water parameters

John,

Graham Rowe once told me that his water (Mulgrave, Victoria, Australia) is so
soft that he and other aquarists have to put a little carbonate gravel in their
grow-out tanks or a lot of the fry grow up with spinal deformities. He believes
that the lack of calcium in the water is the cause and that the food doesn't
provide enough. What ever the reason, it works for him. As for pH, each species
has its own tolerance range, but I doubt that any fish can survive in a pH <3 for
very long.

Mike Wise