Re: Mis-ID in Mayland and Bork?

Scott Olson wrote:

> It is so refreshing to go into a fish store that actually specializes in
> dwarf cichlids!  When I was there, Justin had the following apistos (that I
> can remember):
>
> A. pulcher
> A. Nijsenni
> A. Agassizii
> A. Borellii emerald form
> A. cacatuoides double red - the nicest male cacatuoides I've ever seen!
> A. viejita II
> A. sp. four-stripes
> A. gibbiceps
> a species (I can't remember the handle from the Aqualog) - in the 'rotpunkt'
> group or complex

Scot,

I agree, such store are few and far between. Denver is blessed with one now, too.
Yesterday I went in because he had brought in some wild caught A. mendezi for a
price I couldn't believe! I got there and they were there - even with the
collecting locality on the tank. He also had the following:
A. cacatuoides (Orange) - (like nothing I've seen before)
A. cf. hongsloi (gold) (my ID)
A. luelingi
A. norberti
A. panduro
A. sp. Pebas (my ID)
A. sp. Rotflecken ("A. viejita" CFII)
A. taeniata (my ID) and a tankful of
Laetacara sp. Buckelkopf.

I left without the mendezi (sigh) only so I could get pairs of Pebas and
cacatuoides (orange). My problem is that I could blow the mortgage at the place!
The prices are reasonable. I even told him to raise some of them; he was selling
them too far below market value! He sends me his apisto lists for my input at
times - and once in a while even listens to me. Coco Island Aquatics even ships
fish so you might check him out in the ACA TP and ASG Apisto-emporium.

If this is a plug, so be it. We need to recognize the retailer who really cater
to our needs.

> Seeing Justin's tanks, the way they were set up with so many beautiful
> plants and several ages of apistos swimming about, made me think back on
> Brian Wolinski's apisto tanks of a decade ago.  Sorry if I keep bringing the
> 'great one' up, but, to me, Brian was THE apisto-keeper!

I couldn't agree more! Hockey had it Gretzky, but undoubtedly Brian was the Great
One of apisto breeding. Whenever I found something new and I wanted to be certain
that it was spawned, I always shipped it to Brian. He was the only one I ever
knew who bred Mysis shrimp for food. His tanks were gorgeous. It was a sad day
when he decided to pack up everything and retire from the hobby. The Bay Area, as
well as dwarf cichlid hobbyists in general, has lost 2 greats. First Brian and
now Kurt Zadnik, ... and I just keep plugging along.

Mike Wise