Re: Ocean Aquarium & Mayland and Bork

Dan,

You fall into the same trap when IDing apistos that many hobbyists do - thinking
color patterns are important. The only important color patterns on most apistos
are the black markings on the head, flanks and tail. All of the pretty colors can
be highly variable. Finnage, especially on domestically developed forms can be
very different than those of wild caught specimens, too. If you look at the
original descriptions of both A. macmasteri and A. viejita, neither report caudal
extensions. These extensions are the result of a combination of plentiful food,
quality water conditions, no competition, longer life spans, and selective
breeding. The potential for caudal extensions is in every wild specimen. They
just need help to grow them.

Obviously you haven't been reading the Apisto-gram for long since the Apisto
Species List has listed Rotflecken for over 10 years! Now a little history. Linke
& Staeck introduced 3 color forms of A. viejita in their book in 1984. In 1985
Koslowski gave each color form a specific name since he wasn't positive that they
were all forms of A. viejita. Koslowski called CF I "Rotsaum/Red-edged", CF II
"Rotflecken/Red-flecked", and CF III "Schwarkehl/Black-chin".  A. viejita CF I in
L&S (=Rotsaum) is from the type locality of A. viejita and is certainly the true
A. viejita. L&S's CF II (=Rotflecken) is found in oasis pools in the a different
major drainage than that of Rotsaum. CF III (=Schwarzsaum) comes from the same
drainage as Rotflecken, but is found in shaded stream borders in the Llanos of
Colombia. Although the coloration of Rotflecken (gaudy) & Schwarzkehl (drab) are
very different, their black markings are the same as are the appearance of the
females. Koslowski now believes that A. sp. Schwarzkehl is a species separate
from A. viejita and that A. sp. Rotflecken is merely a highly colorful color form
of Schwarzkehl. A. sp. Rotflecken is not a domestic form, but selective breeding
has enhanced its colors and finnage. Hüser is only one of many breeders worldwide
that has worked on enhancing this species. The fish shown in M&B is just the
variety that Hüser has developed.

Mike Wise