Re: Mike Wise writing a book? MIKEWISE.COM

Brett Kemker wrote:

> Mike-
>
> Well I guess I should throw my two cents in about Mike writing a book.
>
> 1) I believe that a website is a much more practical solution at this stage
> because, unlike a book, it is easily updateable.  This is also a wonderful
> medium to organize a book destined for press if one so desires.
>
> 2) Phenotypic identification utilizing a dichotomous key would be very
> helpful.  This could be, and would be, in a constant state of development if
> we use a website format.

Brett,

Römer has done this in his atlas to varying degrees of success. Most hobbyists
without a taxonomic bent have had problems getting consistent results from such a
key. I feel that a picture key, like the one in the 1st edition of Linke&Staeck's
book as Don mentioned, is more useful to the average visually oriented hobbyist.

> 3) We all should contribute to this project and not lay the load on one
> person (i.e. Mike Wise).  Mike is obviously extremely knowledgeable and IMO
> could be the "information gatekeeper" of the website.
>
> 4) Mike and "appointed help" could post directives to us on this list serve
> (e.g. need a black & white photo of a female A. sp. "melgar").

I've asked for photos before, but results are usually poor. This isn't because
people are selfish but because so few hobbyists photograph their fish. I would
like to hear from anyone who will volunteer photos. If you have some that you
consider good send a list of species to me off list. Thanks to all of you who
have already been generous with your photos.

Then there are the rare fish that usually don't come into the country. Koslowski,
Römer, & Staeck are welcome into virtually every fish importer in Germany. They
usually get calls when unusual fish come in and get "free samples" for study and
photography. A few of these German importers have sat down with the scientific
information available and organized collecting trips just for the purpose to
collect potentially popular fish that aren't in areas commercially collected. I
don't know of any American ones that do this, at least in South America.

> 5) Lots of other sections w/pics could be included.  I would like to see
> sections on species specific; type location ecology, captive husbandry
> techniques, color photos of a given species w/ location information in
> various "moods" (e.g. light/dark background, aggression, fright display,
> breeding dress etc.). (I have just started working on this myself. Do you
> think it's worth the effort?).  My thought is that multiple photos of a
> given species could be used to cross reference results from the dichotomous
> key to confirm correct species identification.

Gee, it sounds like you have already seen Römer's book. You describe it quite
well. To tell the truth, many apistos can't be identified from only one
photograph. Many photos in different moods and lighting are needed to see all of
the diagnostic features on a fish. This is one of the positive aspects of Uwe's
book - and why it is over 1300 pages long!

> 6) Publication of such a book could not be monetarily driven IMHO.  In fact,
> if Mike would agree to do this, he would probably make more money if we all
> just sent him $10 for his time.  I certainly think it would be worth
> it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, send money now!! (LOL)

> 7) This really could come together rather quickly.

The ASG has talked about something similar on their web page, but logistics and
manpower are slowing it down.

Please don't think that I am being a "wet blanket" on this. I find it very
interesting and it is possible if - and it's a big if - we could get the writers,
editors, web page experts, artists, and the needed data together. Then we'd need
another 6 months or more to put it all together. Any volunteers?? My two
centavos.

Mike Wise