Re: Dwarf Cichlid Plague

gkadar wrote:

> Third question: What is the active chemical in the various Maracyns that you
> are medicating with?

Maracyn is Erythromycin which isn't very effective on fish because it is a gram
positive antibiotic and most fish bacterial diseases are gram negative.

Maracyn II is Minocycline, a very gentle gram negative antibiotic (generally not
very effective on stubborn cases of bacterial diseases).

If Chad is successful with it, that's great. With bacterial diseases, my personal
favorite cocktail is a combination of Naladixic Acid + Kanamycin. The combination
has a synergistic effect on most bacterial diseases.

I don't know what Chad has in his tank, but I think it's probably more than just
a bacterial disease. Once it got into the tank it (they?) has started attacking
previously healthy fish. This is why nothing - absolutely nothing - goes into one
of my established community or breeding tanks before it has been in a quarantine
tank for a minimum of 4 weeks. Often my quarantine tanks do become unintentional
breeding tanks before I move fish out, but that's OK with me. I realize that most
people don't have the luxury of having a lot of empty tanks, but a 10 gallon tank
dedicated to quarantining fish is a lot less expensive in the long run than using
a lot of antibiotics that often aren't effective. Quarantine tanks reduce the
stress put on new fish since they don't have the additional problem of
establishing themselves in a new home before they are rested and in tip top
shape.

Mike Wise