line drawings

The advantages of using line drawings are [1] you don't have to get original
photos of each species covered (an potentially cumbersome and possibly
prohibitive task), and more importantly [2] the line drawings can illustrate the
significant features for distinguishing species and minimize details that are
variable (such as color).

If a line drawing does not illustrate a distinguishing feature, then either that
feature is not really a distinguishing point or the illustrator failed.

I agree with a comment Mike W. made a few days ago about the value of the line
drawings in the back of the first Linke/Staeck book.  By studying this set of
drawnings, I learned how to ID apistos.  When I wanted to distinguish between the
three species of rummy-nose tetras, I used line drawings and illustrated only the
features relevant for distinguishing the two (see
http://characin.com/carey/articles/98/three_rummynose_2.html ).

I wanted to use line drawings in my TFH article last year on distinguishing among
the species of each: bleeding hearts, rummy-noses, neons, and emperors.  But the
magazine's policy is to use color photos whenever possible.  But if I ever write
again on distinguishing species, I'm going to insist on line drawings and charts
like the one on the web page I just referenced.

-- Randy