Re: Underwater filming of freshwater fish Was: "Amazonia" on PBS

 The filming also captured quite a bit
> of the other fauna inhabiting the pool, which was crystal clear and
> described as "nutrient rich from the hippo droppings".  There was a
> huge population of carp-like fish in the pool (can't remember the
> filming locale, so can't guess on ID),
Besides Distichodus spp., Hippos are also frequently attended by
the African Labeo spp., which are known for actually embedding
their heads in the anus of the mammals to feed on faeces!
Must be some sort of lower management ritual. You can't see
where you are going so you just feed off everyone else's s***
Try the T.F.H. book "Fishes of Lake Kariba" for I.D.'s on both the
Distichodus and the Labeo.

Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE