Re: Underwater filming of freshwater fish Was: "Amazonia" on PBS

mike wrote:

> > Tsuh Yang,
>  > Most were actually cithharinids like Disticodus along with tilapia
>  > types of cichlids.

yes, mike, but i believe it's Distichodus...  :-P  actually i have 3 D., the
species escape me right now but it's the dwarf (thank god) species...
i don't know if we (sarah et al) saw the same footage, but i think we did, i
remember the footage as showing very clear water.

i was watching the "Amazonia" program again, as our local PBS station
rebroadcast it.  i guess i can see why people were disappointed.  as
usual,like most nature documentaries, the focus is on mammals, and not on
fish or plants or insects or birds.  i was bored to tears watching that giant
otter family, (oh why didn't that caiman get one...).  and as i said, the
editing and staging of much of the underwater footage is a little strange.
there was a shot of redtail catfish, tambaquis, Geophagus and other aquarium
fish all together, i wonder if they can be all found in the same waters.

and when they said piranhas were the most feared fish in the amazon!!!!
where did they come up with that?  people outside of the amazon (and in
hollywood) may think that.  people in the amazon fear more electric eels,
stingrays, and the most feared of them all, is the diminutive candiru
(Trichomycteridae, Siluriformes).  vinny, who has been in the amazon, i'm
sure can tell you more about this little terror...

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA