Re: Underwater filming of freshwater fish Was: "Amazonia" on PBS

Piabinha@aol.com wrote:

> mike wrote:
>
> > > Tsuh Yang,
> >  > Most were actually cithharinids like Disticodus along with tilapia
> >  > types of cichlids.
>
> yes, mike, but i believe it's Distichodus...

You're correct, of course!

> :-P  actually i have 3 D., the
> species escape me right now but it's the dwarf (thank god) species...

Is it D. decemmaculatus? Now that is a fish I've always wanted to get a hand on.
Bronze & green with 10 diagonal spots along the flanks.

> i don't know if we (sarah et al) saw the same footage, but i think we did, i
> remember the footage as showing very clear water.

Sounds right to me - lots of floating "debris" in the water, too. Actually, one
of my favorite "fish on TV" sequences was a Jacques Cousteau program on the Nile
(about 20 years ago). I recall them filling a glass windowed (for the camera) vat
with some fishermen's catch from the Nile, somewhere in Kenya(??). Full of
citherinids, big ugly tilapias, and a monster Hydrocynus (Tiger Characin). It
must have been nearly 20" (50 cm) long and teeth all over the place! It looked
like it was designed to eat hippos & Nile crocodiles!! If I knew something like
that was in the water, I'd never go in!

> i was watching the "Amazonia" program again, as our local PBS station
> rebroadcast it.  i guess i can see why people were disappointed.  as
> usual,like most nature documentaries, the focus is on mammals, and not on
> fish or plants or insects or birds.  i was bored to tears watching that giant
> otter family, (oh why didn't that caiman get one...).  and as i said, the
> editing and staging of much of the underwater footage is a little strange.
> there was a shot of redtail catfish, tambaquis, Geophagus and other aquarium
> fish all together, i wonder if they can be all found in the same waters.

Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans?? (LOL)

> and when they said piranhas were the most feared fish in the amazon!!!!
> where did they come up with that?  people outside of the amazon (and in
> hollywood) may think that.  people in the amazon fear more electric eels,
> stingrays, and the most feared of them all, is the diminutive candiru
> (Trichomycteridae, Siluriformes).  vinny, who has been in the amazon, i'm
> sure can tell you more about this little terror...

> tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA

Quick, where's my titanium jock strap when I need it!!

Mike Wise