Re: My first brood of fry.

Beaudry, Kyle : SEN wrote:

> Thank you all for your advice and recommendations.
>
> Something finally worked, I can't remember who exactly said it but patience
> was the ultimate factor.
> My A. Cacatuoides have a brood of 15-20 fry in my tank. I did a jig on
> Saturday a.m. when I first saw them.
> It took my two females four clutches of eggs each before I found free
> swimmers.
> The little 'uns are now 3mm and eating BBS until their bellies are pink with
> shrimp.
> Probably old hand for most of you reading this but remember back to your
> first clutch and forgive me my tyrade for it will be my last about such
> trivial matters.
>
> I'm changing 10% of H20 every 36 hours and watching parameters closely.
> I intend to leave them in for a couple of weeks with the mother until they
> are large enough for the rearing tank.
> Is there anything special I need to know before moving them? I will post
> questions for the nursery at a later date.
>
> Thanks for listening.
>
> The OVAS annual auction was a success.
>
> K.
Kyle,
Keep an eye on your male, as sometimes they'll rip up a first brood,
Your tank is big, so it's probably safe. With my first cacatuoides
brood, the male attacked the fry after two weeks, eating them all - the
female defended them ferociously (from the forensic evidence - I was at
work) and died in the process, while the male died of his wounds later
that evening. It was like the ending of an tragedy - no one was standing
except a school of pencil fish, who seemed bored...
I've had minor versions since, although never in a tank with a base of
more than 24 inches/ 60 cm. It isn't a rare thing, but it isn't common
either. The only common thread to these rearing breakdowns is they've
always happened when I told friends who wanted cacatuoides that I had
lots of fry...

Gary