Re: A.nijesseni - and the contiuing Apisto Plague saga

A few of my new Panduros had the same asymmetry.  I am wondering if this is
due to viral or bacterial infection, environment or genetics.

BTW, for those of you who followed the Apisto Plague thread, I lost 7 out of
10 of my new Panduros (from the same supplier as the last batch).  They came
in at 7.5 pH and hardness of 250+.  I maintained them for a few days in the
same water conditions. I was told they were conditioned for the high pH and
hardness by the supplier.  I used Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Melafix (a new
anti-bacterial tea leaf extract) for the first three days - as indicated
with no sign of problems.  After the third day I stopped treating with the
Melafix, did a partial water change (with the same water chemistry) and
began carbon filtration.  There was no ammonia or nitrate present because I
was also using zelite.  The following day, the fish began to drop one after
the other - like the last shipment.  By the time I started treating with
Melafix again, I had lost 5 out of 10 fish.

I am still treating (I will continue to for a full 10 days despite what the
label says) and now am down to 3 fish (the last death was 3 days ago now).
I have been slowing reducing the pH and hardness over the last few days and
I am noticing greatly improved activity and appetite in the remaining fish.

I can't figure it out.  I have had more problems with these little Panduros
then with all other fish I have had combined.  Very frustrating.  I am
wondering if my luck would improve if I got stock from a different supplier.
Can anyone point me to a good source for high quality stock that has been
maintained in their natural water conditions?  I don't want any more of
these 'acclimated for the pet trade' fish.

In closing - a few words about Melafix.  If you will recall I lost 12 Rams
from the 'Plague' that the Panduros brought in.  I also was noticing that
two of my prized Cacatuoides were acting strangely - showing 'Plague'
symptoms.  I tried to save the Rams - antibiotics, etc. to no avail.
However, when I noticed problems in my Cacatuoides tank, I decided to try
something different - Melafix.  Within 4 of the 7 day dosage, all the fish
in the tank were back to normal and showed no symptoms of the plague (I keep
calling it plague because it was like fish Ebola).  Anyway, after the full 7
day dosage, the male that looked like it was on its death bed was back to
its usual displaying and courtship behaviors.  After seeing its effects on
the Panduros, I am sold on it - holistic, natural fish healing.

As usual, I look forward to hearing your opinions, experiences and
discussion.

Regards,

Chad