Food question

When it's written in one of Linke and Staeck's books to feed a fish 'peeled
shrimp and crab', does that refer to raw?  I know this is probably right up
there with the dumb question of the week, but I've never tried to feed my
fish either and I'd like to try, so I want to get it right.  Thanks in
advance.  I have a few big bruiser South American cichlids and they may
appreciate some more variety in their diets.  Also, if it's shrimp, can I
use the stuff they sell for human consumption?  Devein it as well?  (Given
the three cats I have, it would be treat time for all.)

Gabriella