re: Apisto pairs [rant, but interesting]

Hello everyone...

Here's an observation that I would really appreciate some feedback on.  I don't know if its just me, but I find buying pairs of dwarf cichlids does not work.  I've never had success (breeding) in apistos that I've bought in "pairs".  The first "pair" that i got was A. bitaeniata at a fish convention.  The "female" turned out to be a subdominant male, and was promptly killed...the larger fish later died.  Next, I bought a pair of A. borelli, as I'd heard they were easy to breed (lucky i didn't buy the pair of A. agassizii "Alenquer"...), and the female died a couple weeks later, still don't know why...the male followed dutifully and quickly after.

Anyway, my latest venture has been with a pair of A. cacatuoides "orange".  For the first time I thought I'd got a viable pair.  Then I introduced a couple corys and I found the female dead the next morning.  The nice male survived...and i was hunting for a good replacement female.  The only problem was that the shop that stocked the fish only sold apistos as "pairs only" and wouldn't sell me an extra female.  Well, i got lucky once as i counted all the fish in the latest shipment and found one extra female, and I took the fish home.  Anyway, this time I wanted to make sure the female wouldn't die (or until after she had at least spawned...) so I kept her in her own 20 gal aquarium for 3 weeks, feeding frozen BW and BShrimp as well as BBS.  As the female grew plump with eggs, I netted the male and placed him in the tank with her.  The female was so desperate to spawn that she immediately started displaying to him.  The male looked a bit quisy...but I was sure a spawn was imminent (hey, what male in his right mind wouldn't want to get it on with a ripe female?).  Anyway, I went downstairs the next day (today) and found his nice carcass on the bottom of the tank...

Is it just mmmmeeeee??  Has anyone had success spawning with just a pair of apistos?  If so, how?

If my experiences mean anything, buying just a pair will hardly ever work.  Especially for beginners it might seem enticing (you pay less for just a pair than a group), but in the end it will be much more beneficial to spend the extra little money (or in my case, find a source who would sell more than "pairs only") to get a group, than to have one fish die and dash your hopes for fry.  In a group, the fish will have a much better chance to survive against violence (i.e. fighting spread out), and you can afford to lose a fish or two and still got one or two good pairs.

What do you think?

regards

Sam Yung