breeding apisto cacutoides

I have a male and female cockatoo dwarf, and it's been months since I
purchased them.  They are showing no signs of breeding, only of increased
tolerance of each other.  There was a guppy in the tank for a while, but I
took it out when it started having babies O_o.  Should I purchase a second
female?  Or is there anything else I can do to get them to breed?  The pH
is slightly acidic like it should be..

Thanks for the help,
Sue