Re: breeding apisto cacutoides

Sue,

Spawning fish has a lot of other factors besides just having a pair of
fish.  Slightly acidic water is good, but how often do you do water
changes.  Do you have a place in the tank for them to spawn?  What is the
temp? And often a varied diet including live foods can get fish to spawn,
but I have also spawned them on flake as well.  What size tank is it.  Any
cover or anything else in there.  And what is your water hardness?

Sometimes it seems like you can do nothing and fish will spawn.  I had 6
A. gibbiceps in a 5 gallon, bare, with a thumb size piece of java moss
barely present and they spawned.  I was feeding live foods and we have
very soft water.  Now, they are like weeds, mysteriously appearing in
other tanks and the fry are spawning up a storm.

Then sometimes I have had to bend over backwards to get a relatively
"easy" fish to spawn.

I will say living in Seattle with very soft water is a distinct advantage,
but I have seen people with liquid rock, use a deionizer and do great.

Just my two cents.

Kathy