Re: A. hongsloi (Alto Carinagua)

I respect your opinon Mike but have you ever seen a "traditional" wild
caught "Rotstrich" hongsloi? In the flesh, not just from photographs or
written descriptions? I have on two occasions (rare import: this out of a
14 year career lurking wholesaler's tanks) and it is not the same animal.

>I was recently sent some fish to verify an ID.
>This was a fish that someone on the list claimed
>was a hybrid. I was asked to forward the reply to
>the Apisto Mailing List:
>
>> Tim,
>>
>> I was surprised when I received the pair of fish
>you sent me. I was expecting to
>> see something like Werner's A. cf. hongsloi
>(Maripa) [Römer Atlas p. 483] or
>> Staeck's A. cf. hongsloi (Cataniapo) [Linke &
>Staeck p.70], especially since the
>> Rio Cataniapo is just east of Puerto Ayacucho on
>the Venezuelan side of the
>> Orinoco. Instead if find a fish that looks more
>like the traditional Rotstrich
>> Apisto. After looking at your A. hongsloi in
>various moods I can't see anything to
>> make me think they are anything but wild caught
>A. hongsloi. The body depth is the
>> same as that described in the holotype. The
>lateral band shows the same open
>> lattice form of the type material. The other
>dark markings seem to conform fairly
>> closely, too. The colors, although not as
>intense as domestic bred fish, are the
>> same as those of Rotstrich - yellowish head &
>breast and pale blue flanks. The red
>> caudal patch & the streak along the insertion of
>the anal fin (not described on
>> the type material, by the way) are there, too,
>just not as large, continuous, or
>> extensive as on domestic bred Rotstrich.
>Although not as spectacular as the
>> domestic Rotstrich forms, your fish are
>definitely more colorful than some other
>> forms I have pictures of. Considering where they
>were collected, I wouldn't be
>> surprised  if this form was part of the initial
>wild stock used to develop the
>> domestic Rotstrich strain. I know that if I
>wanted to add some "wild blood" into
>> my Rotstrich strain, I would not be afraid to
>use your form. I do, however, hope
>> you will try to keep this population pure. I
>hope this puts your mind at ease
>> about what you have. If you have any other
>questions please let me know.
>>
>> best wishes,
>>
>> Mike Wise

                              Steven J. Waldron

                             http://WWW.ANURA.ORG
               "Natural History, Captive Husbandry, Conservation and
                           Biophilia of Tropical Frogs"