Re: J. floridae (was:Algae eating livebearers)

Gabriella writes:

> There was a thread going about J. floridae on the Aquatic Plants list.  I've
>  owned these fish but only for a short time.  The males are aggressive.  If
>  possible the best result is to have a bunch of females only.  They go about
>  the algae eating business with vim and vigour.  Unfortunately in the
Toronto
>  area it's difficult to find healthy fish of this species.  I don't think
>  they transport all that well being vegetarians and not having enough
>  reserves.  But they're not as active and colourful as guppies.  Also
mollies
>  do best in water conditions that are not ideal for soft water apistos or
>  west african dwarfs.  When I was a kid I tried to keep mollies.  The only
>  way they would stay healthy was in a relatively brackish situation.
>  Vallisneria grew fine in this water, but other plants didn't take to it too
>  well.

I have caught these fish wild in both the Banana and Indian Rivers.  These
are part of the intracoastal waterways and are quite brackish.  I've not seen
flagfish in fresh water.  They may also have trouble staying fully vigorous
in a tank with ideal Amazon conditions.

Bob Dixon