From: Mike & Diane Wise [mailto:apistowise@bewellnet.com]
Sent: 06 April 2000 20:15
To: apisto@majordomo.pobox.com
Subject: Re: about Rio Xie

Danny,

Thanks for the information. I think your Rio Xie
(She e) is actually the Rio Içana
(E shawn' ah). It is hard to translate names
exactly from the western alphabet into
Japanese. The Rio Içana is a right bank tributary
of the Rio Negro about 50 km
upstream from the Rio Uaupés. Trop Rio has been
bringing in some new species from
this area recently, including a new form of A.
elizabethae. There is also a species called A. sp.
Içana that has not been published yet. It is a
uaupesi-like fish. I will email you about this
privately.

The true A. meinkeni is a small apisto (5 cm/2")
related to A. pertensis, but looks very different
it & A. cf. meinkeni. A. meinkeni is not as
slender as A. pertensis or A. cf. meinkeni, nor is
the dorsal fin as large and sail-like. It is
similar to A. sp. Tiquié (Pisces, page 124 & SA
Cichlids II, page 70).

Mike Wise

bitaenian wrote:

> Hi Mike, Scot,
>
> Thank you for your quick replies.  I heard that Rio Xie is
> one of the upper stream of Rio Negro.  Because I do not have
> any detailed maps or reference books aound there, I cannot
> conclude whether "Rio Xie" and "Rio Xingu" is identical or not.
> However, since I have seen the fishes "A. elizabethae (Rio Xie)"
> and "A. elizabethae (Rio Xingu)" in a same shop, I guess "Rio
> Xie" and "Rio Xingu" is not identical.
>
> Yamazaki Book (in Japan, it often called "pieces" book) is one
> of the most popular references in Japan.  In that book, he says
> that
> "A. minkeny (spelling?) is the pertensis-like fish with anal
spot$B!&!&!&(B"
> but it does not tell me more about this fish.  So A. sp. Rio Xie might
> be closely allied to A. minkeny.  Anyway A. minkeny is also not so
> popular in Japan.
>
> Danny, Japan.

Archives"!

Archives"!