Re: salt and cories... was Re: safe catfish

"S. Ong" wrote:

> also, the reason for me using the salt is not to
> directly affect the parasites but i've read somewhere
> that the salt induces the fish to produce a thicker
> layer of slime coating that prevents the parasites
> from attacking.  i could be wrong...

If you have ich infected fish, increasing the slime coat on your fish will help,
but not prevent re-infection.

> well the thing is that none of the fish that i left in
> the tank have ick.  when you mean in the dark...do you
> mean complete darkness or just not turning on the
> light?

Total darkness is not absolutely necessary. I would cover the top & sides of the
aquarium with newspaper, leaving a few cm open at the top. Turn off the lights.
Check your fish every day. When you see the white spots disappear then clean the
bottom gravel. High temperature speeds up the life cycle of the parasite & give
the parasite less time to find a new host before it dies. Gravel cleaning will
remove many parasites. Dark tanks seem to prevent many parasites from finding new
hosts.

On corys, tetras and loaches I have had success by using malachite green at 1/2
dose + 2 drops/US gallon (1 drop/2L) of formalin when the parasites start to
drop. The next day I do a large water change. The formalin is very hard on
delicate plants, however. I hope this helps.

Mike Wise