Laetacara thayeri

(belated) congratulations, vinny, on your new babies.

as an aside, i'm starting to think my pair is neurotic.  they have spawned at
least 10 times in my 55-gallon tank, which is filled with "predators,"
catfish and tetras.  they tried raising fry many times, whereas other times
they just gave up early and ate the eggs.  not a single fry to show for as of
now.

this is a little strange for me, in view of my other experiences with
spawning fish.  in this same tank, i used to keep a colony of Nannacara
anomala, and the females there had no problems keeping all the other fish at
bay and raising their broods.  this went on for 5 generations and for a while
i was trying to give them away like crazy.

in my 29-gallon tank, my kribs spawned and had no trouble keeping hungry
rainbows, paradisefish, Betta pugnax and other medium to large fish away.  as
a matter of fact, i raised Betta pugnax in this same tank and all the fry
survived to adulthood.

i'm starting to think L. thayeri really need spacious, quiet quarters for
them to feel comfortable and start a family.  i'm sorry all my tanks are
community tanks and i can't dedicate a large enough tank for them.

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA