Re: Comments on this post...

The question of beefheart as food for fish is guaranteed to get
people's backs up.
So here's my views;
Used as a supplementary protein source and correctly prepared it
can be of use, as long as the diet is well balanced otherwise.
We no longer use it here, instead using mainly crustaceans and
insect larvae to provide extra protein. The institute we probably
have the closest links with is Chester Zoo Aquarium. They use
quite a lot of beefheart. Their fish attain large sizes, but with what I
consider poor colour (don't tell them I said this!). Our fish attain
what I consider natural sizes with good colour. I think it's better to
allow the digestive system of a fish to work as naturally as possible.
I've seen huge fish raised on beefheart, but this is not a natural
condition. If a fish reaches 3" maximum in nature, then that's how
big I like it to get in captivity. A 5" specimen is not natural however
impressive it looks.
This does have more relevance when conservation is an issue, with
hopeful re-introduction to the wild at some stage. Cichlids show
genetic plasticity, and it doesn't take many generations to radically
change the dentition when using an unnatural diet, which could
hinder the chances of success when back in a natural environment.
I realise that in theory the process could be reversed, but why not
try to retain as many of the natural characteristics from the start?
I know that I may be being a bit of a purist about this, but I like to
try and follow the same protocols for all fish, and to give them all
the same treatment.
To balance this, I know Helen Burns uses beefheart, and she's one
of the best aquarists I know, so it must have merits.
Take your choice.
Pete Liptrot
Bolton Museum Aquarium
Le Mans Crescent, Bolton BL1 1SE