Re: aquarium photography ...

From: "Erik Olson"
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2000 11:06 AM

> So for now, just call me "A-to-D Man".  I'll get back to scanning
> negatives, OCR'ing journals, and capturing those old open-
> reel tapes to CD. :)

Having worked with just about every film format from 16mm (remember the old
Minox "spy cams"?) to 8-1/2 x 11 sheets, I have to side with the "hard copy"
folks. There are simply too many variables that an "affordable" digital
takes for granted in deference to our "gotta-have-it-now" societal concerns.
Plus I am much more capable in the darkroom than most of the manipulative
programs available for graphics on the computer (although computers still
hold the edge on "enhancement" techniques because I'm not as adept at things
like Fourier transformations and such...)

Two questions pop to my mind - one from this discussion and another from
previous discourses:

Mike Wise mentioned using his digital for most of the work while being able
to produce slides and such by "photographing his monitor" with a "cheap
SLR". OK, I can see that happening - somewhat... What combination of
film/shutter speed and monitor refresh rate gives you good, clear shots
without "looking like a picture of an electronic display"? You know - no
visible "banding", retrace "highs and lows", etc. Even Hollywood gave up on
trying to make a picture of an active screen look "natural".

And, to tie in to my opening quote from Erik:

You've mentioned scanning both slides and, here, print negatives. In my part
of the world, those types of scanners run far and above the cost of
reasonably sharp flat beds and the like. Can you dwell a little on what
you're using here? I've finally managed to replace my bodies and lenses (as
well as the other sundries - flashes, slaves, etc.), but lose a bit of the
quality in having to produce digitals from hard copies. Work to produce a
quality image from the negative, then work to produce a good digital from
the photo - I don't know, but this seems like too much duplication of effort
to me. Why not cut out the extra step and cut straight to the chase?...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10@mindspring.com