Re: How 'bout that!

This thread appeared in Kullander’s Cichlid Systematics Discussion List last year, when he wrote the following response:
“My search for the earliest publication of a generic name for the ramirezi eventually took me to a Danish aquarium book in which there is a description by Meulengracht-Madsen that precisely fulfils the requirements for availability of Mikrogeophagus. There are several other publications in the 1960s which mention “Microgeophagus”, but those that I have examined all fail one or more of the requirements for availability. I would not be surprised if some earlier “description” would be found, could be in a local Singapore aquarium journal as well as in an Icelandic aquarium book; but that should not keep us from using Mikrogeophagus now, it is the “best” we have.

The correct citation is:

Mikrogeophagus Meulengracht-Madsen, 1968 in Schiötz & Christensen, Jeg har Akvarium, p. 370 (type by monotypy Apistogramma ramirezi Myers & Harry).

Sven O Kullander”
Zeco